Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Derek’s All NCAAB Man-Crush Team: A Completely Normal Topic to Blog About


Derek DeNote


With the 2012-2013 college basketball season coming to a close, I thought I should write about all the guys that have stolen my heart (yes, you read that correctly). Presenting my all man-crush team….

Surprisingly, I’d go guard-heavy. My four guards would be…
If you can name a white person with a better
first name than "Rotnei," I'll do a backflip.

Rotnei Clarke: The silky smooth stroke of Clarke combined with his unlimited range can only make you think of Kyle McAlarney. Both were shooting guards forced to run the system at the point because their team lacked a sufficient point guard. Luckily, for Clarke he’ll be playing off the ball in my unorthodox system, coming off more off ball double screens than you thought humanly possible.

Nik Stauskas: The Canadian can flat out play. His athleticism is lost in his ability to have one of the wettest jumpers in the game. (He also doesn’t care much using extra letters, seeing he dropped the “c” from Nick, but I guess that could be why Zach Hensinger doesn’t think Canadians are the brightest of the bunch. Stauskas can hit 3’s and… wait for it… dunk. The kid has countless highlights of driving to the lane and throwing it down big fella. I’d mainly like to space the floor nicely with him, with him on the left wing with a screen foul line extended and let the defense pick their poison…if they go under, splish splash that’s a trey ball baby…if they switch or mirror him, watch him expose the bigger defender…and if they hedge, watch him exploit the defense with his vision.

Rasheed SULAIMON: Yes, he’s fallen off a bit and lost his starting role to Tyler Thorton (which I’m not too upset about because Thorton was prematurely thrown into the dog house after Quinn Cook played out of his mind in The Battle for Atlantis [which was, by the way, possibly the greatest regular season tournament ever played]). Now, this is where Coach K and I differ. Coach K has SULAIMON playing without the ball in his hands (off the ball), but I think he’s at his best with the ball in his hands. He has great vision and in case you missed him play in the first game against North Carolina, those celebrated guards couldn’t stay in front of him. The kid is flat out explosive. Also, the thing I absolutely love about this kid is the fact that even as a freshmen he forgets about a bad play and just focuses on the next play (I know this is easy to say, but watch the kid play and you’ll see this too). He was held scoreless in the first half against tOSU…what did he do in the second half? Go off for 17. SULAIMON has the ability to take over games and that’s why he makes my man crush team…also to provide a little athleticism to my starting five.

Momo Jones: He’ll be my 6th man for his explosiveness. He’s averaging over 22 points a game and is fearless enough to chuck it up from just about anywhere. This team would be an announcers dream because they could use the cliché, “he pulled up from [a town they aren’t currently playing in] with that last shot!” Momo, who plays for Iona after having transferred from Arizona, adds athleticism, spark, attitude, and sheer scoring ability to my guard play. I completely adopt the idea that your 6th man should be able to get his own shot…think James Harden as the 6th man for the Thunder last year.

I’m pretty sure you can see where I am going with my bigs, but here they are:

Kelly Olynyk: He’s making the team strictly for style purposes. His high white socks, with the flow of a god that is held back by a string headband…is perfect. I love the style, Kelly, and I understand that you’re trying to recapture the 90’s just like me, but my sister suggests you read Bobbie Thomas’s The Power of Style: Everything You Need to Know Before You Get Dressed Tomorrow. (Sidebar: For all of you struggling with style out there, you can also pick up the book on April 23rd or preorder it today.) I’ll have her send you an early addition copy free of charge. But, back to your basketball ability…it’s not too shabby. You have nice range and aren’t afraid to get some boards. Also, I absolutely love the fact you redshirted in the middle of your tenure at Gonzaga for no apparent reason other than to get better.

P.S. I really suspect Olynyk has a Rick Flair-esque suit that he sports on the reg to Gonzaga parties.

Mitch McGary: If you’ve ever heard an announcer say, “Wow! He’s an energy guy,” and thought to yourself, “Wow! This announcer is a douche guy,” you were probably right unless he was talking about Mitch McGary. McGary is so active on defense that it almost makes me tired watching him. It’s like he came into Michigan with a chip on his shoulder…I wonder what that could’ve been from. Possibly ESPN dropping him out of the number 3 spot and stripping away one of his stars, making him a 4 star by the time he graduated. Hey ESPN, I talked to Mitch last weekend and he says thanks for motivation and that making my man crush team is a lot more valuable than being a 5 star. Mitch will mostly be used for his basketball IQ, rebounding, and passing ability.

When you search "Doug McDermott" in Google Images,
this picture of Rick Majerus appears on the first page for
some reason. The things you learn maintaining a blog...
Doug McDermott: Yes, he can rebound, he can shoot, and he has great footwork in paint. He’s very fundamentally sound, which is extremely important for my bigs. I like my players to be able to score from wherever on the court (including just inside half court) and boy can McDermott. Talk about another silky smooth stroke. For all you South Jersey readers out there that for whatever reason haven’t been able to see McDermott play but watched a lot of the State Champion Camden Catholic 2009-2010 team, think Gerry Wixted. Their games are unbelievably similar. And just to clarify, the only person that I believe that falls into the group of people who haven’t seen McDermott but watched a lot of the 2009-2010 Irish squad is Basketball Steve. He didn’t miss a game that year and I also believe he exclusively watches Camden Catholic basketball. If you don’t know Basketball Steve, you’re missing out. He’s a real treat.

I almost forgot, my team is coached by the brilliant Brad Stevens, so yeah. You know we will be successful because if “Wonder Boy Brad” (his new nickname) can do it with a bunch of Midwesterners, imagine what he would do with this squad.

This team is filled with silky smooth shooters that can hit from anywhere and scorers, so make your jokes now. “Are you gonna play any defense?” “No. As Mark Titus has stated, the objective of basketball is to put the ball into the hoop and that’s exactly what we’ll do…most of the time for 3.” “How many balls are you gonna play with?” “One, dumbass. The game of basketball is played with one.” “Don’t you think having a team compiled of strictly 3 point shooters will hurt come tourney time?” “In reality, most likely, but in my fantasy world no way in hell, it’s called playing the odds. There is no plausible way all of these guys have an off night on the same night.” So there’s the Man Crush Team of 2012-2013 and they’ll beat anyone you throw at them, so don’t even think you can compile a better team.

Extras (This piece is entirely too long, so if anyone makes it this far, you might as well keep reading…)! My media coverage would be exclusively:

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, who finally gave me the shout out on Twitter on March 10, 2013 (the greatest day of my life). He will have all access to the team and essentially be the exclusive reporter on them besides…

Mark Titus of Grantland, who I suspect would write wittier pieces and constantly rave about how he’s never seen a team filled with so many wet jumpers. Needless to say, we’d be atop his power rankings every week and run away with not only his heart, but also the National Championship.

1 comment: