Sunday, March 3, 2013

An Open Letter to Ryan Kelly


Dear Ryan Kelly,

I’m not trying to be trendy by writing you this letter. Anyone that I discuss college basketball with will back me up when I say that I’ve been on your bandwagon for years. I believe your sophomore year was the first time I referred to you as Christian Laettner version 2.0. Out of everyone in the world that has absolutely no legitimate affiliation with you, I’ve probably been your biggest fan over the last 3 years or so.

After tonight, though, I have to apologize for comparing you to the lowly Christian Laettner; you’re another animal entirely. I may be getting a little to excited if I were to declare you the greatest athlete of all time, so, for now, I will settle for declaring you the greatest college basketball player this side of Lew Alcindor. This seems reasonable. It’s not every day (or ever, really) that a basketball player comes along who is his team’s best three-point shooter and leader in blocks per game. You’re a freak of nature.

Also, nothing about you makes sense at all. Look at you, for Christ’s sake. It’s a small miracle that someone who looks like you is playing basketball and not selling used cars in the first place. What position do you play? Are you actually a power forward? That’s what you’re officially listed as. It's always seemed to me that you’re one of the all-time greatest 2 guards in the history of the sport, though. Which is it? Is there an answer? Who are you, Ryan Kelly?

After your sudden reemergence after missing the last 13 games and your absurd, 36 point, 7 rebound, 7 of 9 from 3 performance against Miami tonight, I have a new theory. It’s all starting to make sense now, Mr. Kelly. I’m on to you. The hair. The beard. The seemingly God-like abilities on the court. Are you Jesus Christ, come again? You can be honest with me. It’ll be our little secret. I’ve always though of Jesus as a sort of genie on steroids, so in case I’m right about you being the Messiah and the Messiah being a type of genie, I’m going to ask you for a wish. There have been points in the last 8 hours or so since the Miami game began that I’ve been tempted to say that YOU have done the impossible and supplanted JJ Redick as my all-time favorite Duke Blue Devil. With that in mind, I wish that you do something so ridiculously absurd, even more so than what you did tonight, that I will have no choice but to concede that you are my all-time favorite Duke Blue Devil. Ideally, your absurdity would help propel Duke to victory as it did tonight. But honestly, at this point, I’m just as concerned with your own, personal legacy as I am with this Duke team’s legacy.

I was at work last night when I received a notification on my phone that you were playing tonight. I was lucky that I was in the back and that no one important was around because I started screaming and hitting objects in excitement. You turned a bad day into one of the best I’ve had in awhile. Thank you, Ryan Kelly. You continue to inspire me on countless levels. I wish you nothing but the best and continued success. You'll always be my favorite 7-foot shooting guard. Now, onwards to Atlanta!

Sincerely,
Matt Hoover

No comments:

Post a Comment